Cosmos #10 Edge of Forever
Steven Dutch, Professor Emeritus, Natural and Applied Sciences, Universityof Wisconsin - Green Bay
Despite the sweeping topic, a fairly weak episode.
"Current Scientific Story"
Internal motion of Galaxies
- Spiral Arms
- Doppler Effect
Mt. Wilson Telescope
- Closed 1985
- Milton Humanson and Edwin Hubble
- Mechanics of driving large telescopes
- Compensation for Earth's Rotation
- Galaxy too faint to see visually
- Red Shift - Expansion of Universe
"Curvature of Space"
- Flatland analogy - Edwin Abbott
Expansion of Space
- privileged frame of reference
- Is our universe closed? (Black Hole?)
- What happened before Big Bang?
- Creation ex nihilo
- "Why not save a step?"
- "Questions once treated only in religion and myth"
- Big Bang - Modern scientific creation myth?
- Cycles in Hindu belief
- Only major faith to guess at time Scale of universe
Ultimate fate of universe
- Echo of big bang (cosmic background)
- Jocelyn Bell - first noticed the evidence for quasars
- Ours is first generation with chance to find some answers
Return to Cosmos Index
Return to Professor Dutch's Home Page
Created 13 January 1998, Last Update Last Update 15 January 2020